The Coordinator operated as the intermediary between the consortium and the EU-Commission and was accountable to the Steering Committee.
The coordinator's responsibilities included:
- signing the contract with the EU-Commission,
- transmitting documents and information connected with the project between the parties concerned,
- transmitting reports and other deliverables to the EU-Commission,
- collecting the cost and other statements as well as financial audit certificates from the parties for submission to the EU-Commission,
- receiving the community financial contribution from the EU-Commission and arrange for the disbursement of payments allocated among the parties,
- convening and administrating meetings of the Steering Committee,
- assuming the position of chairperson of the Steering Committee;
- preparing and distributing minutes describing decisions taken by the Steering Committee;
- overall administrative management of the project with the support of the project office.
The coordinator monitored the progress of the project through intensive communication and regulared internal reports from the workpackage leaders:
- short internal progress notes, every three months,
- consolidated cost statements, as agreed in the contract,
- periodic six-months and annual progress reports, including statement of expenditures, comparison between actual and planned expenditure,
- mid-term progress reports, including statement of expenditures, comparison between actual and planned expenditure,
- final report, including statement of expenditures, comparison between actual and planned expenditure.
To secure intense scientific cooperation and information flow the partners met 7 times in meetings/workshops, where workpackages were discussed, evaluated and if necessary adapted. Regular communication was additionally conducted through e-mail, fax, phone and through message boards open to interested third parties on the project's website.
The coordinator set up a project office which worked closely with administrators of each of the partners. Its responsibility mainly was:
- the organization of meetings of the Steering Committee and other consortium meetings,
- the dissemination of information to the partners,
- the coordination of the exchange of personnel between the partners,
- the collection of the partners' financial statements and reports.